Friday, September 21, 2012

Maintaining a Twist Out: Multiple Days


Hey Folks!

Day 1
Day 3
So I lasted washed my hair with my Terressentials Mudwash on Tuesday and was going to do a full detox but my hair felt awesome that second day and I didn't think more washing was necessary. Since then my scalp hasn't been itchy at all. In addition I've stopped applying JBCO to my scalp. For the time being I'm not going to be massaging any oil into my scalp except for the days I'm steaming, and I rinse my hair afterwards so oil won't be sitting on my scalp for days at a time. Anyway, moving on to the topic of this post.

Tuesday night, after my hair dried a bit in braids throughout the day, I decided I wanted to twist my hair with 100% aloe vera gel (the kind I have is from Wholefoods) and pure Shea butter. I had my hair in about in about 8 braids which became 16 twists. To each section I applied a little aloe vera gel for moisture (my  hair loves this stuff) and for a little hold. On top of this I applied a little Shea butter and finger detangled before twisting. To twist I began by flat twisting the roots which creates more definition for me. My hair felt really soft and the Shea butter made my strands so shiny! I didn't pin down the twists to stretch them because I didn't feel like sleeping with bobby pins in my hair. I just put on my satin bonnet and hit the sack.

The next morning I applied a little of my oil mix to my hands and removed each twist, taking care not to separate the hair too much. My hair felt very soft and light (a little Shea butter goes a long way) and the definition was awesome. I haven't been this happy with a twist out in a while. That night I just lightly spritzed my hair with aloe vera juice and water, rubbed on a little Shea Butter to seal and put my hair into two low buns using satin scrunchies and taking care not to mess with my hair too much. I did two buns because My bangs don't make it back into just one. On top of this I put on my scarf and went to bed. The next morning I removed the scrunchies gently, spritzed my hair with water/aloe vera juice and shook my head, letting my hair fall naturally and fluffing a bit to get the shape right. My definition was just as awesome as day 1! I never get good second day hair on a twist out. Even when I use gels, my twist out just fell flat after one day. The second day felt soft, moisturized, and not greasy at all (which can happen when I use too may different oils/butters to seal). Again that evening I spritzed, smoothed on Shea butter, put in two buns, and tossed on my scarf. And again the next morning I spritzed, shook my hair and fluffed. The definition was still awesome! Third day hair, who knew! For a change in style I pinned the top part of my hair back with two jaw clips and put on a stretchy headband.    The great thing about this third day hair is that I know I'm going to get fourth day hair! I'm going to do the same night time method tonight. My hair is getting a little more stretched and big, but I love that. I plan on doing a henna treatment sunday or just steam with some oils, and retwist. Just had to tell you that maintaining a twist out is possible and super low manipulation!
Day 3


Day 1

Day 2

Day 2





1 comment: