Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Shine Serums

I'd like it to be known that I have the CurlyNikki app on my phone and use it extensively, even when I shouldn't (like while at work). I love the app and reading varios posts and you can just about find everything on there! The best moisturizers, great conditioners, etc. And its nice that you don't just hear from one person, but many, so after fifteen people rave about the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration...it makes me want to try it. That's the product junkie in me speaking and usually I do a good job of ignoring that little voice, but most recently decided to give in.

On my product list page, I recently added the Shine and and Anti Frizz section because those are all recent purchases. For weeks I've been reading a thread on the CurlyNikki app about silicone serums and their purpose and for weeks I have been curious. I reallly, really wanted to try a serum but I was also focused on staying within my CurlyGirl rules. Well, on an impromptu trip to Ulta I stopped by the hair products and saw that L'oreal had a whole bunch of serums and two of them didn't have any alcohols or silicones! Score! But would they work the same? The purpose of the thread on the app was basically how everyone was pro silicone and that the use of silicones led to less tangles, no knots, and easy detangling sessions. I wanted that too! But I couldn't quite commit to silicones just yet, so I picked up two serums in the hopes that they would be just as good as the silicone ones...and I picked up a silicone serum just in case. I also bought the Cantu Silk and Shine Serum because that was raved about the most on the curlynikki app thread.

Since I've put in the mini twists I've been using the silicone free L'Oreal SuperSleek Intense Sleek Serum as a way to seal in moisture instead of using an oil or butter. To hydrate my hair I mixed some Tressame Naturals with water and aloe vera juice in a spray bottle and every other day I will spritz my hair, focusing on the ends. Once my ends are damp, I'll rub the serum over the ends mostly and then a little throughout the rest of the hair. After that my hair goes up into a bun for a few hours until I let it down for a bit while at work to make sure its not too damp. My ends feel great! So soft and smooth...a little producty but not too bad (probably don't need to use as much as I have been). I'm really liking this serum so far and I think its doing a good job even though it is sans silicone. I can't wait to try it on loose hair (whenever that may be).

I do still want to try the Cantu Silk and Shine Serum...maybe when I officially introduce cones and sulfates into my regimen. I have the Tressame Naturals Split End Remedy line and I'm really itching to try it...but CG is working for now and my ends have been knot free since the twists and the serum.

Anyway, if you're following the CG method and looking for a good shine serum I totally recommend the L'oreal. I don't think it works as a heat protectant though. Here are the ingredients:
Water, Glycerin, Steareth-100/PEG-136/HDI Copolymer, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-15 Copolyamine, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Olea Europaea Oil/Olive Fruit Oil, Argania Spinosa Oil/Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Sunflower Seed Oil, Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Coumarin.

As a sealer it's top knotch!

No comments:

Post a Comment