Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pre-Poo Love!

Since starting my natural journey, I've never been a pre-poo girl. I kind of didn't see the point. A few weeks ago I decided to try a pre-poo I read about involving the Aphoghee Two Minute and olive oil with maybe a dab of honey, mixed this all up and then sat under my steamer. After I 20 minutes of steaming and after I rinsed the product out, my hair felt nice but I followed with my cleanser of choice which is the Terressentials Mudwash. Usually when I use the mud wash my hair feels detangled, clean, and moisturized...after this particular pre-poo my hair felt really weird...like there was product build up or something. I kinda dismissed the idea of a pre-poo after this and just figured it wasn't something that worked well with my mud wash...I proved myself wrong today!

Since it's Sunday and I've finally been able to focus on my hair for a minute, I decided I wanted to try the whole pre-poo thing again, but this time opted to use Coconut Oil (because of the way it actually penetrates the hair and because everyone seems to love it as a pre-poo) and to this I added a little Wheat Germ Oil and some MSM. I warmed the oil mixture in the microwave and before applying section by section, I spritzed my hair with my water and aloe vera juice mix before applying the mixture to my scalp first (MSM is said to promote growth) before applying it to my strands. Oh man! The coconut oil was seriously making finger detangling a breeze! I've tried using it in the past to seal with and it usually left my hair crunchy feeling, but applying it to damp as and finger detangling was excellent! I made sure to coat my hair really well and then stuck my hair into two high puffs so that my ends would benefit the most from the steamer. I was pretty excited at this point because I felt like this steaming session was going to be a good one. I steamed for 20 minutes (my scalp was tingling like crazy...it was hot under there) and then hopped in the shower to rinse my hair. My hair was feeling really soft....sigh. Love that feeling. I applied my mud wash (sultry spice) in the shower this time around (normally I follow the Naptural85 method and apply it out of the shower but really didn't feel like getting out and in and out and in so...) I applied the mud wash in sections, rubbing it into my scalp and along the length of my hair. I let it sit for a bit while I cleaned my body and then rinsed and finger detangled some more. My hair felt excellent! Soft, moisturized and looked shiny too!

I had every intention to deep condition afterwards but didn't think I needed it simply because the pre-poo had helped the moisturizing coconut oil penetrate my hair. Post mud wash I used Curl Junkie Curl Rehab (Strawberry Ice Cream) as my leave-in (I initially thought I'd DC with it) and sealed with regular castor oil and applied Jamaican Black Castor Oil to my scalp. I did put on a plastic cap followed by my heat therapy wrap just to make sure the leave-in, but more importantly the JBCO could penetrate my hair a little better. After half an hour I pulled out some gel and decided to twist my hair into small two strand twists (some are medium but I definitely wouldn't call them mini). I plan on keeping the twists in until Saturday...but I make no promises.

From now on I think I'll be using my steamer for Pre-poo treatments only. I read somewhere that the steamer actually works better for pre-poo treatments than it does deep conditioning treatments (post wash anyway) because the steam and heat open the hair follicle allowing products to penetrate better...but if you use it to DC, apparently the hair shaft is already water logged so your deep conditioner may not penetrate as well as it can. Judging by how my hair looks and feel currently, I would have to agree with the whole pre-poo thing! Plus I can finally use this huge tub of coconut oil now...it's been sitting there for months and I didn't know what to do with it. I'm going to try pre-pooing from here on out and see how my hair benefits...I have a feeling my hair is going to love me!




This is post mud wash without any product. My hair felt so soft! I probably could have gone without a leave-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment