Monday, March 19, 2012

Product in Review: Oyin Handmade Shine and Define


Cost: $11 (4oz)
Ingredients:
Purified water, Organic flax seeds, Organic aloe vera gel, Sea Vegetable Complex, Coconut Oil, Castor, unrefined shea butter, organic raw honey, Vegetable Glycerine, Palm Stearic Acid, Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, fruit pectin, xanthan gum, destrose, Optiphen (preservative) citrus essential oils, fragrance
Ingredient Attribute:Organic
Paraben Free
Protein Free
Silicone Free
Sulfate Free
I’ve had this product for a while, I just haven’t taken the time to review it and in all honesty, I forgot about this product until yesterday, when I decided to two strand twist my hair with it.
First and foremost let me tell you that this product smells yummy! I’m not sure exactly which ingredient is giving it the smell, but it’s very sweet smelling and nice. Come to think of it, all the Oyin Handmade products smells good. Maybe it’s the honey.
I’ve only used this product for two strand twisting my hair and I think only once did I use it to slick back the edges of my hair in order to pull it up. Usually when I use this product I use some type of leave-in and seal, then I’ll use the Shine and Define. Looking at the ingredients I decided to use this alone, because it’s going to moisturize the hair since it is water based, and it also has a decent amount of oils, so essentially it’s sealing the moisture in the hair as well.
I separated my hair into four sections and working section by section (and breaking them down into smaller sections) I applied the Shine and Define. This product provides a nice amount of slip so that I was able to comb through each section before twisting. The product is also heavy enough that it gave my twists a bit of weight when first applied, but it did not prevent the hair from shrinking up once it was dry.
This product is awesome for twist outs! It really does give hair a lovely shine and great definition. I still have my hair twisted and will probably rock a twist out on Friday, but I’ve used this in the past for twist outs and always loved the way my hair looked. I’m not sure how this product would work for a WnG, but it may be worth trying. It probably wouldn’t give the kind of definition a gel would, but it might give someone with a loser curl type the WnG definition without the crunch. That’s one thing that I love about this product besides the smell. It leaves the hair feeling very soft and moisturized for days. Granted I was a little heavy handed when using it, but I usually am with my products, and my hair feels fine. I am nearly out of this product and after I run out of a few more things, I plan on repurchasing this because I think it’s one of my Holy Grails.
My final thoughts? It’s a great product for a decent price. My only annoyance is that I haven’t been able to find it on the ground, and so I have to order it online, but other than that I love everything about the product. It’s versatile in that it moisturizes and seals the hair, it smells great, and it gives me super defined twist outs. Will I buy it again? Yep! And another perk of the ingredient is that all the ingredients are natural! There are no parabens, sulfates, or synthetic products in the Oyin Handmade hair care line. I’m trying to limit my arsenal to more natural products.
Anyway, if you’re interested, I’d try out the Oyin Handmade Shine and Define. The product can be purchased from their site directly (just Google Oyin Handmade) or you can purchase it at curlmart.com.
My two strand twists with the Shine and Define:

Freshly done and still hanging


Drying and shrinking up. But they look pretty thick and luscious eh? Must be the henna

How I styled my hair today. Tomorrow I'll be pinning it all up and probably leave it like that all week before Friday's twist out.

3 comments:

  1. have you tried going to the store in baltimore at 2103 charles st? the store is open on saturdays from 12-7. go to the website since i may be off on the street. i don't think i've seen their products at any other store in md. i live in silver spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you tried going to the store in baltimore at 2103 charles st? the store is open on saturdays from 12-7. go to the website since i may be off on the street. i don't think i've seen their products at any other store in md. i live in silver spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! I didn't know there was a store in Baltimore. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete