Monday, March 19, 2012

Product in Review: DevaCurl Heaven in Hair


Cost: $24.95 (8oz) or $39.95 (16 oz)
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Aqueos Extracts of: Achilea Millefolium, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Cymbopogon Schonanthus, Humulus Lupulos (Hops), Melissa Offcinalis (Balm Mint), Rosemarinus Offcinalis (Rosemary); Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Glycol Distearate, Polyquaternium-7, Cetrimonium Chloride, Behentrimonium Chloride, Ceteareth-20, Quaternium-91, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Hydroxyethyl-cellulose, Theobroma Cacao (cocoa) Seed Butter, Theobroma Grandiflorum (Cupuaco) Seed Butter, Astrocaryum (Murumuru) Seed Butter, Polyquaternium-10, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Citric Acid, Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile, Phenoxyethanol, Fragnance, Blue 1, Yellow 5
Where to Buy: Ulta, curlmart.com
I used this product for the first time and I liked it so much I decided to go ahead with the review! The smell is alright…kind of clean smelling if that makes sense, but completely tolerable and not overwhelming. The consistency is very creamy, without being runny.
I applied this yesterday after shampooing my hair with my Honey Hemp Bobeam’s Shampoo Bar and briefly conditioning with the As I Am Coconut Cowash. My hair was already divided into four sections, so to each section I applied the Heaven in Hair, focusing on the ends. This stuff has awesome slip! My fingers were just gliding through my hair as I applied this, so I was pretty stoked. I applied liberally to each section and then turned the four sections into two and piled the two ponytails on top of my hair before going to sit under the steamer. I piled the hair up to make sure that the ends got a majority of the treatment (it was my first steaming session).
I steamed for about 20 minutes and I read that after steaming it’s best to do a cold water rinse, so I turned on the kitchen faucet, not even bothering with the adding any kind of warmth. The water was so cold I nearly couldn’t continue rinsing but I managed. I did notice that while rinsing my hair, it didn’t seem to feel as soft, so I was a little worried…but I realized the cold water on my hair was making it feeling harder than it was, because once I squeezed the water out with my micro fiber towel, my hair looked super shiny and felt really soft. Running the comb through one more time was really easy!
I’ve read that this product can be pretty versatile. I’ve only had a chance to use it as a deep conditioner, but I do plan on trying it as a styler, maybe for a twist out or something, or I could use it as a leave-in conditioner. It has nice, natural ingredients and while I did like this product, I DO NOT like the price. This ish is expensive and I’m going to have to use it some more before I decide if it’s worth the expense. A lot of the Deva Curl products are expensive, and I know people rave about them, but if I can find another product that works just as well but for half the price, well then I’m all for it! I do want to try a few of the other Deva Curl products and I will once my product stash lessens a bit.
My final thoughts about the Heaven in Hair:
I like the product; it smells a little weird, but the deep conditioning with this was awesome. For the size of the jar, I don’t think I’m getting my money’s worth. The major con about this product is the price, but if it turns out to be something my hair loves well…I’ll just have to keep it won’t I? Plus I think next time I won’t have to use so much. It pretty much detangled my hair upon contact, so I could try using less and see how that goes, that way the jar could last me a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment