Monday, January 2, 2012

HELLO 2012!

It's a new beginning! I love the start of the new year. I always feel like now I can do things right...until about April or May when all my new year declarations seem to disappear. I didn't make any new year hair resolutions. I think I'm pretty much going to stick with what I've been doing, with the exception of continuing with growth aids. As I said in a previous post, once I'm out of certain things, I won't be repurchasing. I plan on coming back with a new years eve hair post, to show you all how I ended up styling my hair, but until then here is a brief recap of what I learned in 2011 about my hair and how it'll benefit me in 2012.

So I like to say I officially started my healthy hair journey in April of 2010...although I'd made the decision to stop relaxing nearly six months before that time. At the beginning of my journey (and still kind of sort of now) I jumped on every bandwagon or product that youtubers or other bloggers mentioned. I tried any and all regimens I came across and basically never stuck with anything long enough to see if my hair was really benefiting from this or that. Suffice to say, I've seen very little growth until recently. I think my hair would be significantly longer now if I'd done what I've been doing recently a year ago.

What have I really learned in 2011? I learned that my hair does best when it isn't manipulated and when I say un-manipulated, I mean it. Some people think of low manipulation as simply wearing a wash and go or two strand twists everyday and that may work for them, but I've discovered that my hair does best when I leave it alone completely during the week. What I've been doing for the past month and a half is washing on Saturday or Sunday (depending on my schedule) using either one of my Bobeams shampoo bars or my Terressentials Mudwash, deep condition with either my KBB DC, Shea Moisture Purification Masque, or a homemade mix of mayo/yogurt, honey, avj, and olive oil. After I DC for about 45 minutes to an hour I rinse with cool water and apply another DC as my leave in, really focusing on my ends and layering the product on thick and then detangling with my denman at this point (although usually with the Mudwash or Purification Masque, I can finger detangle and call it a day). On top of this I've been using Hemp Seed Oil followed by a thicker pomade such as my Shea Butter Mix, Hairveda Almond Glaze (must review this soon) or when the mood hits me, grease. After this my hair normally feels great, soooo moisturized. Previously after this I would flat twist all my hair so that I could wear it for the week under wigs or beanies, but now that I've learned to corn row I do that instead. And that is how my hair remains for an entire week until my next wash. Sometimes midweek I'll spritz and seal, but I find that I don't really need too, which is one of the reasons I layer on a DC as my leave-in instead of something lighter. Also since I do this, I try to do some kind of protein based DC every so often, that way my hair doesn't get tooo soft.

For the first time I recently went two whole weeks without washing my hair and I must say my hair felt rather good, if a little soft. I may try this again and see how my hair does, if anything instead of washing after a week I might remove the braids, spritz my hair, put a little more of my DC leave-in, and seal before braiding up again and then wash the following week.

Since starting this new routine, I've finally seen some noticeable growth in my hair and...unfortunately I don't have a picture yet, but I'll take one soon to prove it. I'm not sure how this routine will change in the warmer months since I don't plan on wearing wigs or hats then....maybe some twist updos?

Sorry getting off track, so yeah, 2011 taught me that my hair doesn't like to be bothered which kind of sucks, because this means when I decide to wear my hair out in the summer, I'll have to be careful that I don't suffer a set back. I don't want to grow my hair long if it means I have to keep it up and covered all the time. Hopefully my hair will get stronger or something and will be able to handle more manipulation later. We'll see but if this routine can get me shoulder length curls I'll be happy! I look forward to thicker, longer hair in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment