Wednesday, December 28, 2011

When Leaving Home...Don't Forget Your Products!

So I went out of town for the Christmas Holiday and I had mini twists in when I left...and I had totally planned to keep them in until this Saturday...only soooo many of them were unraveling and I was seriously getting annoyed with them! So I started taking them down, not thinking of what I would have to do to my hair afterwards. The twist out looked alright but my hair just felt a little too dry and tangled and I realized...I didn't bring any of my stuff! Since I'd been planning on keeping the twists in, I only brought a little spray bottle and some castor oil to seal the ends...but none of that stuff was going to help detangle my hair. And I was a bit apprehensive about using products with cones...but that was all that was in the house, so I lathered on some Garnier Fructis and finger detangled as best as I could, since I'd forgot a comb and my denman, and the finger detangle after a week of mini twists wasn't cutting it. There wasn't much else I could do, so I rinsed and then applied a little of the conditioner to my hair after towel drying. My hair was still feeling pretty rough but I used the castor oil to seal and just pulled it all up into a banana clip bun.

I couldn't stop thinking about the state of my hair though and since I'd noticed that my bangs were now practically at the tip of my nose, meaning I'd retained some length, I was scared I'd suffer a set back since my hair felt so dry and I couldn't tell shed hair from breakage. The second I got back to my place, I spritzed my hair liberally and applied my Shea Moisture Purification Masque to my hair liberally. I rubbed into my scalp and the length of my hair, and let it sit for about an hour and a half, the last half I put on a heat cap. Gotta love how that stuff detangles! I still felt like there was something coating my hair, I decided to just apply some deep conditioner to my hair and sealed in the moisture with African Pride and Hemp Seed Oil. Then I did something amazing. I corn rowed my hair! I know right! How? I just started braiding and picking up hair and I couldn't believe how easy it was! Mind you, it does not look pretty, but it is secure, even more secure than my flat twists if you can believe it. I was so proud of myself. I did my entire head and then tossed on a scarf. For the rest of the week I'm wearing wigs and/or a beanie. I did the corn rows because I think I want to wear a braid out for new years eve...but I have a feeling it might all go up into an updo anyway. Since it'll be two weeks since I last washed, I'll make sure to wash my hair on Sunday with one of my Bobeams Shampoo Bars, follow that with maybe a homemade mayo, honey, and olive oil DC for an hour, then rinse and apply KBB as a leave in and seal before braiding the hair back up for another week. Judging by the growth I am noticing fully for the first time, I think something about this lack of manipulation during the week is really helping me retain. I hope I don't have to do this forever just to keep all my length. Hopefully my hair will get stronger and won't need to be tucked away so much. I mean I plan on wearing my hair out all summer!

Oh yeah this post isn't about all that, but to tell you that even if you go out of town with one style and think you won't need stuff, if you can, bring it anyway just in case because it's better to have it than not right?

No comments:

Post a Comment