Thursday, November 10, 2011

Build Up Woes

I realize now that I was waaaayyyy too heavy handed with my Shea Butter mix. I was applying too much of it morning and night, plus spritzing everyday and doing the baggy method, and then I go and decide to do my mud wash, acv rinse, deep conditioner combo thing last week that although it left my hair soft, I still saw some telltale signs of white. I haven't clarified in a while, and while I love my mudwash, it doesn't exactly work to clarify the hair...especially after weeks and weeks of product build up. I didn't want to do the detox again...although I'm sure that would have worked, but I stumbled across a site on Etsy called Sweetsnthings that specialized in making homemade shampoo bars that were sulfate free. I figured I could try one of these bars to help cleanse my hair.

I went ahead and ordered a few, mainly because they all sounded so good but I finally settled on what I thought would be the best scents. I used one of my bars for the first time on Tuesday mainly because one, my scalp was itching and two I rinsed my hair to do a mudwash and my hair was white! So much build up. So I used the shampoo bar and followed with my Terressentials Mudwash in Lavender. I let the mud sit on my hair while I showered and then rinsed and finger detangled in sections. I must have had a lot of build up. Since I'd been wearing my hair in twists or buns, and mostly covered everyday I wasn't really paying attention to how my curls looked when I did wash because I knew I wasn't going to wear a WnG or anything, but let me tell you...after using the shampoo bar and the mud wash I was very tempted to wear a WnG! My curls looked and felt amazing! So soft and bouncy, and very defined. I'm pretty sure I could have left the house without applying product and my hair would have stayed great all day. But for the sake of retention and hair care, I applied some Sweet Ambrosia, Terressentials Baby Oil, and some Blue Magic and pulled everything back into a Banana clip. I flat twisted my bangs and tucked the hair in the banana clip under to make a bun. I wore this style for two days, covered by a satin lined beanie (well the flat twisted bangs were exposed).

Now I know that I should mostly focus on applying oils to the ends of my hair and be careful with what I apply to the scalp. Right now I'm sticking with my Wild Growth Oil. Once that is finished I might just use Jamaican Black Castor Oil or something...and maybe only once a week to the scalp...I don't know, trial and error. I haven't been using my Shea Butter mix lately because I'm liking the blue magic right now...but we'll see. As for my mud wash well that will be my weekly wash and once a month I plan on using my shampoo bar to remove any extra build up. I don't ever want to have that kind of build up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment