Friday, September 2, 2011

Flaxseed Gel

Guess what I finally did! Well guessing probably isn't that hard considering the title of this post, but yes, last night I made flax seed gel. I followed vlogger Naptural85's recipe for making flax seed gel, which consisted of 1/4 cup flax seeds and two cups of water. I boiled the water with the flax seeds and kept stirring and watched the water thicken up. It did so very quickly and once I thought the consistency was okay, I turned off the heat. While it boiled I placed a pantyhose over a Tupperware bowl to strain the gel with. I simply poured and squeezed with tongs and tried to get out as much gel as possible. Honestly I'm having mixed feelings about this. I mean I felt like I didn't get enough out of my flax seeds, but mainly because it was so hard to squeeze the seeds with my tongs. Secondly that stuff is soooo thick! I added some essential oils (peppermint, rosemary, and tea tree oil) and stuck it in the fridge last night and decided to use it this morning to slick my hair back into a bun. For a second I was worried because it was so thick I couldn't even get any on my fingers, which bothered me because I thought it would just sit on top of my hair. But apparently that's not the case and after a bit of maneuvering I was able to get it on my fingers and smoothed it on my hair.

My hair isn't as slicked back as I would have liked...but I'm coming to realize that my hair is just doesn't lay down very smoothly...maybe it will once it is longer or maybe it's a sign I need to moisturize more, but either way my hair isn't super smooth in the front. I don't blame the gel though because when I use store gel it's the same thing.

This gel does offer a good amount of hold, while still leaving the hair soft which is great! I hate when gel makes my hair crunchy. I'd be interested to try this on two strand twists or a wash and go to see how my hair would turn out. Another perk of this gel? It's all natural! The ingredients are very limited so I know exactly what's going on my hair. I definitely want to try making it again in order to play with the consistency, but all and all I like it! If you're interested look for Naptural85's video on YouTube! She also has a recipe for whipped Shea butter that I can't wait to try...but that's a task for maybe...the weekend? We'll see. I'll let you know.
Here are pics of my wash n go using Flax seed gel! Liked the definition and didn't make my hair crunchy.



No comments:

Post a Comment