Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Product Review: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

To follow that last post, I thought I would do a brief review of the SM Smoothie. I've highlighted some of the key ingredients such as protein and glycerin that PJ's usually look for.

Ingredients:
Deionized Water , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado) , Vegetable Glycerin , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Silk Protein , Ammonium Salt , Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem) , Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot) , Sorbitol Esters , Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5) , Caprylyl Glycol , Essential Oil Blend , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower and Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle and Japanese Honeysuckle) , Tocopherol (Vitamin E)

Can be used as: a moisturizer, deep conditioner, styler, etc.

I first became aware of this product on blogs and curly websites, and immediately wanted the whole entire Shea Moisture line. I resisted for a good couple of weeks, mainly because I couldn't find the smoothie, but finally found it at Target.

I didn't like this product at first and even thought of returning it. I felt like it didn't enhance my curls at all. The problem was, I followed directions, using only a dime size amount on damp hair. I have enough hair that a dime size didn't cover much. And so I put this away for a few months and forgot about it.

A few weeks ago I used it again, as a styler for two-strand twists so I could wear a twist out. I used a dime sized amount on each twist. It gave a decent amount of hold so I didn't use gel. My twists came out great! Sorry I don't have a picture, but my hair was shiny and soft and all around I liked the product a lot better.

Last night I used this product again as the sole styler, but for a wash n go. I applied liberal amounts to each section of my hair and raked the product through with my fingers. My hair was white afterward, but I didn't mind since I was throwing on a plastic cap to sleep in. My hair was still white this morning, but has gone away since the hair dried. Today my hair is soft and defined, if a little oily and not even frizzy (well not much, I've had my hand in it a lot).

I didn't use a sealer since this product naturally has a lot of oil, plus the added benefit of glycerin. Although I liked the results this product gave my hair today, I don't think I would make it a staple. It just doesn't have that wow factor for me. I will use the remaining product for my wash n go (maybe use a little less too, I was very heavy handed last night) and call it quits.

No comments:

Post a Comment