Thursday, April 21, 2011

Embracing the Natural Me!



Hair in twists, pinned back.

Current Style: 5 day old two strand twists, recently washed. Some are unraveling and the hair is looking a little fuzzy. Just need to make it through Friday and I'll take them out after work.

Current Regimen:
  • Shampoo and condition weekly with Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Deep Condition weekly with either Mixed Chicks DC (with olive oil) or Shea Moisture Repair Masque
  • Protein treatment (haven't done this yet, but plan to this weekend. We shall see how it goes).
  • Every evening moisturize with Kinky Curly Knot Today, Seal with Castor Oil Hair dress
  • Alternating evenings: Castor Oil and MN on scalp (heard they help with growth).
  • Sleep with a satin scarf.
  • Oh yeah, and after washing I usually style in two strand twists since I can wear them all week and have little hair manipulation. Means more time to eat breakfast in the mornings!
Back of my hair, looking more like coils than twists.
Most Recent Discovery: Henna! Did a Henna treatment this past weekend. I added warm water to about two cups of henna, lemon juice, olive oil, avocado oil, and rosemary essential oil. Let that sit three hours and applied to my freshly washed and detangled hair. Put it in and put a plastic cap on and went  bed. 7 hours later (I was feeling anxious and woke up at 7am on a Saturday...go figure) I washed out the treatment, applied Mixed Chicks and sat under a heat cap for 45 minutes. Rinsed (which got all the extra henna out) and....wow! My hair was shiny, there were no strands of hair in my brush or hands and I had a noticeably redder tint to my hair, which was kind of groovy. Will definitely be doing that again! (Maybe once a month or so?)

So I started a grow-out challenge on naturallycurly.com and started my blog with them, so I decided to put together a separate blog for myself that would chronicle my hair journey from now until...well whenever.

While ultimately I would love to have long, luscious curly hair, right now I'm content to just get my hair healthy and learn how to take care of it. For my grow-out challenge I'm aiming for shoulder length, stretched. I'm currently mid-neck length when my hair is straight and the back is just starting to touch the base of my neck (for some reason the back grows quicker then everywhere else). I think I'll gradually cut my hair until everything is even. Right now I swear every strand is a different length...my hair just grows strangely.

I unintentionally started transitioning in March of 2010. That was the last time I got a relaxer professionally done, all the times before that I would just do them myself (it was cheaper) and I think that's why I had a lot f breakage. That and I also wasn't deep conditioning or moisturizing and oiling like I'm supposed to. Nor was I wrapping my hair at night. So my hair was kept short, ear length and although I had intentionally cut it that short in early March (I think I was channeling Rhianna) I decided I wanted long hair. Only...it kept breaking off before it could get anywhere.

Then I realized maybe I was losing hair for another reason. In July of 2010 I had a lot of hair broken off in the back (it was bad!) and a hairdresser suggested I get tested to see if I have a thyroid condition. She also said to start taking vitamins to see if that will help with my hair's health. I listened to her as she buzzed off the back of my hair (hence my half BC) cute and shaped up the front to blend with the super short back, and sent me on my way. (When I first heard the clippers I freaked! But it turned out nicely).

Turned out I did have a thyroid problem, got on meds, started taking a multi-v and biotin and started taking care of my hair. I watched Youtube videos and read a lot of blogs to figure out how to care for natural hair and now I admit I'm a a bit of a product junkie. There are so many things I want to try...but I'm limiting my self to one thing at a time, until I discover what works perfectly for me.

I tried giving up shampoo and conditioning wash only, but I work out and when I do, I sweat...a lot! And after a week, I just feel like I need a good ol' shampoo. But I do use sulfate free shampoo and I think my hair appreciates that.
My hair this morning. Twists are getting fuzzy.


I'm excited to start this blog because as things progress, I can look back and see how I started out. If my hair looks better now rather than later, or gets better. I know this is going to be a trial and error hair journey. Thanks for going along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment